Saturday, February 22, 2020

Where They Know Your Name


I was in shul this Shabbos on the UWS and a young lady [whom I don't recall knowing or having ever met] says to her little son "This is Rabbi Ehrman. His father's name is Fred. He is a Rabbi who lives in Israel". 

I couldn't help but be flattered that she knew who I am. It is like the Cheers [that I watched religiously on Thursday nights as a youth] theme song - 

Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you got
Taking a break from all your worries
It sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away?
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see
The troubles are all the same
You want to be where everybody knows your name
You want to go where people know
The people are all the same
You want to go where everybody knows your name

So the fact is that my father's name is not "Fred" nor has it ever been. My uncle is Fred and people often make that mistake. He is a modern day American Hero who is soon going to finish Shas for the FOURTH TIME [and he only started in his 50's] in addition to the wonderful family he raised, tremendous amount of Tzdaka he has given and work on behalf of the community etc. etc. etc.. So it is an honor to be thought his son. But, I am proudly the son of my Great Father, ר' יצחק יונה בן חנה, may he have a refuah shleima and אריכות ימים ושנים!!! 

I am also not a Rabbi. I am just a guy. 

But she was spot on about the "Ehrman" and "living in Israel" part. 

So, whoever you are - much nachas from all your children and success in all you do!!