Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Merging Of Identites

What is a wife???

Take a peak at this weeks parsha. "Etzem may'atzamai ubasar mi'bsari" - A bone from my bones, flesh from my flesh. According to the Zohar Hakadosh this was not a one time event but reflects the reality of every couple until this very day.

So who is my wife?

ME!!

And "me" I love unconditionally and I spend most of my time thinking about him. What makes him happy, makes me happy. When he is eating, I am enjoying and when he is in pain I feel it exactly as he does. My wife is me, so she deserves the same feelings.

My mother, my father? I love them dearly, but when I get married I separate. "Al keyn yaazov..." - A man, the Torah teaches, must leave his parents and cling to his wife. [My parents didn't want to keep me anyway. 22 years was more than enough for them:-)]

Sweetest friends, almost all problems of marital discord would be solved if this attitude were internalized.

Love and blessings!!!