Sunday, January 19, 2014

Shabbat In Cancun!!!!

This has been bothering me for some time and I have blogged about it in the past and I intended to blog about it again - but then I saw that my friend Reb Chaim at the Divrei Chaim blog touched upon the issue. I will copy..

I took a count of the number of ads for Pesach resort vacations I saw recently in a Jewish newspaper and stopped when I got past 20.  I was just on a “frum” website and was immediately hit with a pop-up ad for “Shabbat in Cancun.”  Mind you: some of same places running these ads won’t run an ad or article with a picture of even a modestly dressed woman because, after all, “hatzne’a leches,” we have standards of tzniyus, but running ads for decadent luxury resort vacations is somehow OK. 

I guess if you make a million dollars a year, blowing a few tens of thousands on Pesach is really not a big deal.  It’s a matter of proportion.  But then I start to think that judging by the number of these programs, there must be plenty of millionaires in our community (baruch Hashem!), and I start to wonder why are our yeshivos all struggling for cash.  There is obviously something wrong with my hashkafos because every one of these programs has a litany of Rabbis offering lectures and shiurim and daf yomis -- not only do they approve, they participate. 
 
I've posted about this in the past and realize it is a lost cause.  The trend is to offer more luxury to the kosher consumer, not less.  My hunch, though, is that you won't find someone who knows Ketzos sitting on a beach in Cancun -- it's a delusion to think you can live in both worlds. 
End of quote.
 
I add that it is not only the yeshivos that are struggling for cash. It is countless families who are drowning in debt, who don't have enough for the basics. Just this past Thursday, I was talking to a friend, a hard working man whose wife also works, but has so much debt , that Donald Trump would have trouble covering it. He has tuition's for his children, dental treatments, mortgage etc. etc. That is in addition to the daily expenses and bills such as groceries and various utilities. He is really trying hard and doesn't want tzdaka but is not able to make it. There are so many like him. A person could say - if I can't help so many people then what is the point? The answer of course is that to help even one person is a tremendous mitzva.
 
Here is a question I ask: Does Hashem receive "pleasure" from the Pesach seder of a family in a resort hotel when the money they are spending could support a poor family FOR A WHOLE YEAR [or more]. Another question I have is - are people apathetic to the plight of their suffering fellow Jews. If they are not - then they are going to have a hard time enjoying the vacation. If they are - then that is a drop of Amalek [don't be offended, the sfarim say we all have a drop of Amalek in ourselves]. I am enjoying myself on the beach, while my brother doesn't have money for food, and I don't even care. Oy vey is mir!
 
In my former career as a fund raiser I would always hear from people how "rough" things are. Ahhhhhh, rough. They had no food at home apparently because they went away to the Inbal for Succos with their whole family [and would have their children's friends over for meals - so a yuntiv lunch could easily be 5-10 thousand dollars]. I baruch Hashem am done with that but so many people are struggling and it pains me. I have almost nothing to give but halevai all of the people I know who have been given such shefa from shomayim should share it more generously with those in need. I have mentioned in the past, that in many families you will find some family members who are making a lot of money, buying fancy clothes, driving luxury cars and making 6 figure simchas [four hours - 200k!!] while their own family members don't have enough money to afford a cleaning lady twice a day to help take the burden off an overburdened, pregnant, full time job working wife.
 
Or for food.  
 
A brother. A cousin. A niece or nephew. Why wouldn't one give if they will still have a well padded bank account and someone they are close to will suffer that much less.
 
Wonder of wonders. According to the gemara, Jews are rachamanim bnei rachamanim.
 
That being said - some people need a vacation in order to maintain their mental health and equilibrium. If that is the case then they have a every right to go. My life and basic needs precede the basic needs of my friend - חייך קודמין. In addition, sometimes one needs to go for shalom bayis purposes. That is also a more than valid reason to go. Gotta keep the lady happy...
 
So how does one know if the expense is justified? I have a pashut eitza - ask a shyla. Go to your Rav, present the circumstances and ask for a psak. Should the 50k go to tzdaka or Cancun for a week?
 
Of course, another issue is whether these vacation spots are fitting for a ben Torah [I hear in the back of my head a voice crying "ALMOST NEVER". Should I ignore the voice?]. People live with the attitude - it is my money and I will spend it as I wish.
 
One can only have that attitude, if he also believes that there is no G-d. And if he believes that there is no G-d - why is he going away for Pesach??
 
Sweetest friends!! There is a Judge and there is a day of judgement. PLEASE don't spend a penny unless it is a fulfillment of the will of the One who gave you the money.  
 
Love and blessings and wishes for great financial success for all:-)