Saturday, January 31, 2015

Just Call And There They Are

I love being Jewish.

If I wanted to talk to a big-politician-athlete-actor etc. it is very often impossible to speak to them personally [not that I would want to but many people do..].

If I want to speak to a big Rov, a gadol, a tzadik - his name and number are in the charedi phone book - I call and if it is the right time, there he is.

On Friday I had a big shyla so I called up one of the most prominent rabbonim in the world. His wife [or daughter] said he isn't home and gave me his cell phone number [!]. I called a few times and no answer.

After Shabbos I picked up the phone, dialed and his very familiar voice was on the line. Cool. I told him that I am loooong time talmid of both his audio and written shiurim. He thanked me. I then asked my shyla. He answered. I thanked him. He gave me a bracha [twice] and that was it.

Cool.

I spent many years studying the Tzitz Eliezer. I decided that I wanted to meet him so I went to his shul right off King George Street and there he was. Cool. I asked him a shyla and was so completely in awe of this gadol who was already engaged in correspondence on complex halachic issues with gedolei ha-dor WHEN HE WAS 15!! He would argue and they would argue back and he would argue back. He wrote his first "bomb" [in the positive sense] sefer when he was about 18 and followed with about 2 dozen more. And I could just randomly approach him one weekday afternoon between mincha and maariv.

Rav Shlomo Zalman Aurbach. Gadol Ha-dor. All you had to do was go to his house any day from about 2pm until I don't remember when and he would receive you and answer any question and give brachos. And with such humility simplicity and warmth.

Rav Chaim Kniyevsky. 25 years ago I was in Bnei Brak for Shabbos so I went to his house to ask a question. HE INVITED ME TO STAY FOR SHALESHUDES!!:-)

The true gedolim and tzadikim are so humble and unassuming.

When I was a fundraiser, I tried to get in touch with rich people. They often have secretaries to protect them. "I am sorry Rabbi Shnorberger, Mr. Richwasser isn't in now. He will be back in 2 years from May." My emails were usually ignored. Why SHOULD they answer? It is THEIR money and why should they bother with every "idiot" in need. [Because it is not their money and because every person was created in the image of G-d. And because one who studies Torah deserves extra respect. The gemara in Psachim says that in Shomayim those very "important" people are nobodies, while the quiet, unassuming tzadikim who get no publicity are at the top. I am in neither category so I wonder where I will end up:-)].  Frankly - I find it much more interesting and inspiring to talk to a gadol bi-torah than a man who spends his days and nights turning lots of money into even more money. So thank G-d that this is my lot. May the earners connect to the learners and each share of their wealth with the other....

And may we all connect ot tzadikei emes!

\