Sunday, March 17, 2013

Times Have Changed

More [continued from last post] on current events.

In Israel there are two basic Torah communities [with ten million sub-groups]. The Charedi and the Dati Leumi [religious Zionist]. I personally am a product of both. Most of my learning was done in Yeshivat Hakotel and my readers know of my dveykus to kisvei HaRav Kook. I also studied in more Charedi yeshivos and my rabbeim were of that stripe. I chose to raise my children according to the Charedi model with all of it's pros [so much Torah!!] and cons [how are they going to support themselves when they grow up?]. I am convinced that both groups have much to learn from each other. There is so much good in both communities baruch Hashem.

The Dati Leumi political party used to be called the "Mafdal" and had some real Talmidei Chachomim [such as HaRav Neriah ztz"l and Dr. Wahthaftig ztz"l who helped save the Mir yeshiva] and bnei Torah in their ranks. Today the party that represents the Dati Leumi world is called "Habayit Hayehudi" and without going into details they have strayed very-VERY far from the values held dear by so much of their constituency. This saddens me deeply. In a way, it can be viewed as tragedy for the Dati Leumi world. I think the people who are saddest are the Roshei Yeshiva of the Dati Leumi world who now have nobody representing their interests in the Knesset.

I look forward to a day when graduates of Mercaz HaRav and Har Hamor are representing the Dati-Leumi world in the Knesset. I look more forward to the time when Moshiach comes....