Monday, May 20, 2013

Letter To The Editor:)

An email I received regarding this post.

Rebbe,

Your post about secular vs. solely religious studies sparked a bit of a disagreement:
Before I say what I say, I just want to inform you that I do not live in the Chareidi world and you would know about the m'tzius in that world much more than I would so please correct me if I'm mistaken even in the slightest.
 
With that:
 
If every Chareidi person were living up to the religious standard you proposed in the post than I would agree with you 100%. However, there are many Chareidi kids not exactly living up to the Chazon Ish's standards. There are many going right "off the derech". Granted, there are more in the modern world, but that's to be expected. There are many horror stories coming out of the Chareidi community (especially in New York) about not doing business b'ne'e'manus, spousal problems, parenting issues, etc. etc.
 
Again, granted, it exists way more in the modern world, but for a world flooded with shtus that's to be expected. But, in the chareidi society, which keeps it's subscribers in Yeshiva their whole lives and tries to minimize contact with the outside world, it seems that these social issues are a testament that not knowing enough to get a job is not the only downside to living in that community. Seemingly, it doesn't protect against whacky things anymore than anything else...

Love,
------
:-)

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated when you have the time.
 
What I think is that the Charedi community has many-many problems. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Of course this doesn't negate all of the positive that the Charedi world has to offer. I believe that if the standard is not to have a TV or unfiltered Internet at home [or Internet at all] that is a healthy way to raise Jewish children. [For the record - I have Internet as testified by the existence of this blog but my children are not allowed to use it. In an ideal world I wouldn't have it either. Nobody has to convince me as to the importance and benefit of the Internet but all of the tumah makes me naseous...] I also believe that a home where the children are constantly drilled that Torah observance and study are the highest values is the most faithful to our tradition.
 
But no - all of this Torah and vigilance in protecting religious children from the evils of the outside world doesn't prevent the serious problems which are constantly arising.