Monday, May 27, 2013

What You MUST Do Is ......

You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself.
 
Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)

Giving advice is a mitzva from the Torah! We LOVE mitzvos:).

BUT...... before you give someone advice make sure that you know all of the details. Otherwise, it is like a patient goes to a doctor who promptly writes a prescription WITHOUT EXAMINING the patient. Just because it is good medication, doesn't mean that it is good for this person.

Also, make sure he wants to hear it. Otherwise, he might take offense because giving somebody advice implies that YOU KNOW MORE WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE OTHER PERSON THAN HE DOES. THAT is offensive. It also generates resistance.

Parents often fall into this trap. Guiding one's child is a very sensitive issue. We want them to go on a certain path but have to be careful not to impose on them our preconceived notions of what is right.

My advice is often solicited. Probably - because it is free. Also possibly, because I make time for people and try not to give them the feeling that I am too busy. Maybe, because I am not:).

What I always try to determine is if people just want a listening ear [I have two Baruch Hashem. Funny shaped but they work GREAT!] or want advice. When I offer it I try to make it clear that only the person knows what is best for him/her and I am just an objective observer [an "observant Jew" as it were] offering possible solutions and approaches. I then ask how it sounds to the person - if he/she doesn't like it, then I shelve it.

Where this all leads us is to that blissful place of Mosaic purity: It is called "HUMILITY".

That is what one needs in all areas of life.

If this posts resonates with you then I encourage you to apply it to your life. If it does not then you can live as you choose:):).

Love and blessings.