Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Should We Vaccinate The Children??

One thing that really got me throughout this whole Corona ordeal is how many people suddenly became scientists. People have such strong opinions abt. a topic that they can only understand if they have studied science and medicine. Over 99 percentage of the population has not. At the beginning of the pandemic [and even until now] even the biggest experts didn't know and admitted that they were guessing. So how can untrained people know more about a [brand new, unresearched] topic than trained people??

My position was [and is] that I don't know ANYTHING [other than how to do weekend comedy shows at resorts like Grossingers and the Homowack that seem to get reaaalllly smalllll crowds these days. Is it b/c my humor is too Jewish?? Too clean?? I am not funny?? Who knows!]. So if the experts KNOW something and there is a broad consensus - follow them. If they DON'T know, then err on the side of caution. Missing minyanim b/c you want to stay alive and healthy is an act of great heroism and mesirus nefesh. One is giving up tfilla bi-tzibbur and all the amen yehei shmei rabbas b/c Hashem said that He wants His people to remain healthy!!! 

I am not a scientist! So I can only know what the scientists tell me. IF I have proof that it is all a scam and a conspiracy then of course I wouldn't listen but in the meantime proof for that assertion has not been offered. 

[The same applies to those who are troubled by seeming contradictions between Torah and science. Before dealing with them, one must first understand the Torah and the science. Few take the trouble to do so. So they end up either distorting the Torah, the science - or both].     

Which brings me to the shyla of vaccinating children. Should we or shouldn't we?? 

BY GOLLY, I just said that I am not a scientist! How should I know??!!! But if the experts say that they DON'T KNOW and maybe the vaccine WILL harm children [which I understand is the case at the present moment], then one has every right not to vaccinate the child - even if the experts recommend to do so. The reason is that in this instance, the experts are not talking as experts but as guessers.  

If the experts looked at broad data and concluded that it is NOT dangerous - then it would be foolhardy to ignore them and one even has a civic [and many hold halachic] duty to do so. We are not living on an island. I remind everyone of what I have already written numerous times. Almost every one of the now almost FOUR MILLION people who died from the virus were infected by another human being. This is called in the literature "רציחה בשוגג"!!! 

HASHEM YISHMERAINU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!