Friday, November 22, 2013

Mind Reading?

I will tell you two stories as they happened and you can decide what you want to believe....

Story 1]

Last motzaei shabbos I went to the Tolna Rebbe's tisch as I do every week Baruch Hashem. However, I was particularly troubled with parnassa issues [should I invest my millions in the stock market or in real estate? Should I buy out my partner in a certain business we own jointly for 80 million or should I try to get him down to 75 million even though it will be a hassle. Should I buy an vacation home in Manhattan for a cool 9 mil.? It faces the park and is beautiful but not all of my neighbors will be such bnei Toirah. You know - such problems...]. So I sat there quietly both listening to his sweet Torah and also pondering less ethereal matters that consume many of us. At the end of the tisch, the custom is that everybody approaches the Rebbe Shlita and receives "shiraim" [such as a fruit or a challah]. When it was my turn he smiled and welcomed me. Then he handed me a challah and said "This is a sgula for parnassa".

Story 2]

Last night I went to the weekly parsha shiur and since there were no empty seats, I found myself standing. This happens sometimes and doesn't bother me so much. People always complain about married men who "sit and learn" so I don't mind countering that I "stand and learn". But yesterday I had a very stressful day [following a stressful week/ month:-):-)] and starting thinking somewhat depressive thoughts about other things which were triggered by the fact that in the whole beis medrash there wasn't even one little seat for me]. Suddenly the Rebbe interrupts himself and turns to me [there were many others who were standing] and says "Reb Elchonon, zitz [sit down]. Iz do platz [there is room]!" I waved my hand as to say "No I am fiiiineeeeeeee". He insisted and pointed to a bench were I could fit myself in [I don't take up much space...]. I sat down and the shiur continued [it was recorded and will be in my email box soon for those who want to hear..]. This has never happened to me before in the parsha shiur.

You do what you want with the stories. I am just telling you what happened.

What he said in the shiur is also worth mentioning but maybe another time....