Tuesday, December 10, 2013

When It's Too Late

The following is my translation of an article in Olam Katan [a weekly Torah sheet distributed in shuls in Israel] written by a young man named Yehonatan who lost a friend named at the age of 17 in a car accident.

Last week I understood the value of life. I understood that life is a gift and one shouldn't treat it lightly. How much time of my life have I wasted on absolute nonsense.

Last week I understood sadness. I understood that one can submerge into sadness, but one can also channel the sadness and be elevated to the stars.

I understood the value of love. I understood that you have to hug the person you love, to say a nice word even when it is difficult for you. When was the last time I did that? When did I really love?

Last week I understood the value of tears and singing from the heart. I understood that there is no better way to express the stormy feelings of the soul than by singing. Or crying. Or both.

I also understood the value of giving. I understood that the greatest joy is to give, not to take. Simply give of yourself. When is the last time I gave of myself to someone with a big smile on my face?

Last week I understood the value of memory. I understood that sometimes the only things that remain with us from a complete lifetime are memories.

Last week I also understood what it means to lose a dear friend. Ribbono Shel Olam, why do we only learn to appreciate something after we lose it.