Sunday, February 8, 2015

Yisro: When Listening Leads To Action

One of the lessons life has taught me in human psychology is that when someone reads an email or a blog that asks for help, financial or otherwise, there is more than a 99 percent chance that the person will not respond positively. I know how many people read my emails and blogs [approximately] and also know how many have responded over the years. A very VERY minute percentage. [AND MAY HASHEM BLESS THEM ALL!]

That explains why every Rosh Yeshiva has to travel to the US and doesn't just send an envelope in the mail or drop wealthy people an email saying that the Yeshiva needs their assistance. We all know how easy it is to ignore the email or throw out the envelope. But when he shows up at their door then the level of discomfort they feel is increased significantly, thus increasing proportionally the donation they give [and there is also the "kavod" aspect...]. Even someone such as the great, legendary Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel ztz"l, who suffered terribly every second of his life for a number of decades from a debilitating illness, was still always on the road trying to keep the Mir Yeshiva afloat.

I have been learning and teaching for the last almost 4 years from that blessed less than one percent of people who helped just because it is the right thing to do and not because I knocked on their door and pressured them to give and/or made them feel guilty. I have zero doubts about the important contribution that I am making to Klal Yisrael and have been told as much on countless occasions by a countless number of people. The people who have helped and will help are partners in bringing Torah to thousands upon thousands of people on a constant basis. There is no dormitory, cleaning help, tiyulim etc. etc. to pay for. There are no salaries to pay. Every cent goes towards furthering this cause where the costs are so little [relatively - what many families will pay for one week this coming Pesach could support me and my family for 2 years! The cost of some weddings I have attended could support me for years.] and accomplishes so much. I am davening constantly that I find just one person to stand behind me so that I don't have to live not knowing if I will be out on the street in two weeks time or if I will have to refuse my wife's gentle request for the money for the grocery store. In the meantime I have not found that lucky guy who will both promise and carry through on his promise to fully support my activities [although I have quite a few friends who could without a problem. I hope they never need in their lives but if the tables are ever turned and they need and I have, I look forward to giving with a smile and a hug - never mentioning or even feeling the pain of them not helping me in my time of need]. That is why I turn to the public and hope that people will open their hearts and join me in these projects. Tax deductable:-).

The Jewish people are a holy nation. There is nobody reading this who doesn't give tzedaka. There is no doubt that you are a giving person and much greater than me in many ways. Nevertheless I reach out and ask that you give not out of discomfort but because you are happy to support Torah. YU has a "Center For The Jewish Future". Believe me, my "Center" is also insuring a "Jewish Future" just without a budget in the millions. [YU had to sell many buildings to cover expenses. I wish I had that option...]. If you choose not to give, then at least please daven for me that I should be able to continue what I am doing:-).

I thank everyone who has helped in the past from the bottom of my heart. I will try to repay you in any way I can and Hashem will certainly pay you in ways that you never imagined. I thank in advance those who help me in the future and obligate myself to do whatever I can for you bl"n as I have in the past. For those who ignore this request - you should also be blessed in every area.

This is a copy of the email I sent last Erev Shabbos: 

Shaaalloom sweeetest friends!!!
 
We continue our projects in the newly named "Ira Leon And Inga Rennert Center for Advanced Talmudic Research and Jewish Values". As I mentioned last week, in this center we have already produced and reproduced thousands of articles on Torah topics; halacha, gemara, philosophy etc. etc. in both Hebrew and English. In addition there are close to two thousand audio shiurim listened to by tens of thousands. Every day we reach hundreds of people world wide spreading our message of love, light and ruchniyus with a lot of laughter thrown in. In addition, we answer halachic queries and counsel many beloved friends who are struggling with personal challenges. There is also a "skype chavrusa program". In addition we are often asked to provide source material which we happily do. All Baruch Hashem with tremendous siyata di-shmaya and with no request for remuneration [that means for free]. When you do thing for free, after a while, you realize that you can't provide for yourself materially....
 
Unfortunately R' Ira is not on board yet but it is better that way! It allows others to contribute as well and to be my partner in spreading our unique message to the world. If anyone wants to sponsor a video shiur [such as the one linked at the bottom], an audio shiur, a dvar Torah on this email or on mevakeshlev, or the publication of one of my future sefarim [I have material for many but they are stuck in the computer waiting to be redeemed], or just a general donation to keep the flame burning - then you can feel free to contact me. "They" say that if you make 3 shidduchim you go to gan eden. I give you a bracha that you don't go there anytime soon but rather that you stay here in GOOD HEALTH and PROSPERITY. But when the time comes - supporting Torah will GUARANTEE the eternal bliss we were all created to enjoy - even without the three shidduchim. Just yesterday I found out that a friend of mine [considerably younger than I] passed away. It reminded me that I too am not here forever and that ALL I will TAKE with me for all eternity is what I GAVE [that is why I am my biggest supporter... And THAT is why I am turning to others for partnership opportunities]. In the past I tried Torah "start-ups" that were larger operations but quickly found out that they were unsustainable. People said they couldn't or could but didn't want to help [times are indeed rough...]. What I am doing now is extremely cost-effective. One person staff, zero overheard [except for my kippah and roof], yet an audience of many thousands Baruch Hashem. No politics. No hidden agendas. Just a burning desire le-kadesh Shem Shomayim and to help bring more Light and Joy into our world.    
 
This Dvar Torah is dedicated to the speedy recovery of:  
Gittel Tovah bas Yocheved
and
Chanah bas Devorah
bi-toch shear cholei yisrael!!
They are both relatives of big supporters. I always tell Hashem "He helps me - please help him and give he and bestow limitless bracha on him and his family". In the zchus of great acts of kindness my friends have performed for me over the years may Hashem grant their loved ones a refua shleima!! 
Also a SPEEDY-SPEEDY shidduch for my most beloved friend Moshe Yehuda ben Pesha Dina. Such a fine young man FILLED with secret acts of kindness. A beautiful neshama [and a good job, highly educated, top family, nice looking, very bright and personable etc. etc.]. We just need one fine young lady who will have the merit of sharing her life with him.
 
In Parshas Yisro we read about the historical, world changing event of the giving of the Torah. We start by reading וישמע יתרו - Yisro HEARD. Wait a second! EVERYBODY heard, not just Yisro. חיל אחז יושבי פלשת אז נבהלו אלופי אדום - When the sea split the Torah tells us that the nation were frightened. G-d's miracles were well known. EVERYBODY HEARD!
 
What was different about Yisro?
 
Let us give an example from the world of child rearing. Sometimes our children say words to us and we may HEAR what they are saying but we don't really LISTEN [sometimes we are so busy we don't even hear their words at all]. We hear what we want to hear. There are so many hidden messages in speech. When a child gets angry that he didn't get the right present for his birthday, what he may really be saying is that he feels unloved and uncared for. "If you really loved me, you would have bought me the" .... [ditto with a spouse]. When a child says that he can't complete a certain task what he or she may really be saying is that he feels inadequate and like a failure.
 
By not listening, our replies are usually off the mark. I know parents who never ever get to know their children because they never really listen to what the child is saying [sometimes even explicitly]. People have filters in their ears that filter out things that they don't want to hear or don't understand or can't relate to. A good listener is someone who is able to step out of their own personal reality for a few minutes and enter into someone else's world. That means to be completely uncritical and receptive of the other persons message. It means that after we hear what the person says we are moved to ACTION.
 
Very often, when someone is in need of help, we want to help the person in ways that fit OUR needs. When someone tells us that a family member is ill, maybe we say "I am so sorry" and assure them that we will daven. Maybe we don't say anything because we don't know what to say. Maybe we feel that we have enough of our own problems and don't need more on our plate. Whatever we say or don't, it could be that the person is really asking that you send over meals or help with the children.
 
It is very helpful to REPEAT back to the speaker what he or she said and ask if we understood correctly. This both allows the speaker to feel listened to and to really make sure that there is no miscommunication. It also helps to ask if what the person really means is "x" and allow the person to explore their feelings more. Rarer than rare is the good, non-judgemental, uncritical, not rushed, not answering the phone or emails, completely focused and empathetic listener. Such a person is a gem.
 
I know a very successful mental health professional who is asked "How do you listen to people's problems all day?" His answer is "Who's listening?" I think that beneath the humor he is expressing the reality of much of what he does. We are so inundated with our own personal "stuff" that it is hard to be there for someone else.
 
Yisro HEARD but he was also moved to ACTION. He listened to the message Hashem was sending mankind. Nobody else took to heart what they had heard. He heeded the call and came to join the Jewish people. All of the other goyim heard - and moved on. They didn't REALLY listen. It is like telling a smoker about the dangers of smoking and after you finish talking he lights up. He may have heard your words but is was an external hearing. שמע ישראל השם א-להנו ה' אחד means UNDERSTAND Israel that Hashem is One and the implications.
 
The ENTIRE TORAH is predicated upon this כח השמיעה - capacity to listen. All of the mitzvos between man and Hashem require that we listen and understand the will of Hashem. For example, that He wants us to keep Shabbos, what that entails, how every moment of Shabbos should be spent etc. All of the mitzvos between man and man [and woman and woman] require us to "hear" the other persons needs and fulfill them. The is why the parsha of the giving of the Torah opens with the word וישמע - He heard.
 
There is much, much more to say on the topic but I will leave it here and let my you, my intelligent and sensitive friends develop the idea more and to see how it applies to life.
 
May we all hear the call of Hashem as individuals to fulfill our unique purpose with simcha and love for all.
 
Bi-ahava rabba and wishes for a Shabbos of bliss,
 
Me:-)
     
PS - In the words of a famous sportscaster: "Let's go to the video tape!"