Tuesday, December 15, 2015

What To Say? - Challenging Times

I have been given the task of addressing a group of boys tomorrow on the topic of שמירת הברית. 

I am at a loss. How do I talk to a room full of boys who are all holding in their hands at that very moment, the biggest שמירת הברית breaker in the world - called the "iphone" - about שמירת הברית. If I tell them to get rid of those machines - they won't listen. EVERYONE has one - how bad can it be??!! Right?

So what do I say? Not to watch movies? Will they listen to that? Not to hang out with girls? To be mekabel upon themselves to finish Shas within 3 years so they will have no time for tumah? Gotta be realistic....

That there is a great עונש for those who are מפירי ברית? If they were worried about עונשים then their lives would be very different in all respects. יראת העונש is not a strong point in the MO world [and among many "charedim" as well]. This is not a generation of יראת העונש - and certainly not יראת הרוממות - a constant awe of being in G-d's presence.

So what do I say? Give over deep Torah's about קדושת הברית? Will that change anyone's behavior? If not - then what is the point??

If anyone has any ideas - I'd love to hear......:-). 

I have been in chinuch for over 20 years and I must say that this is the most challenging time ever. The only thing that stays the same in chinuch is that mechanchim get paid [in many places] starvation wages. Then they have to overcome the worldwide ADD-ADHD and many other learning issues epidemic. 

The upside is that there is no greater zchus than to deal with Jewish neshamos and to try to pass on the mesorah. And as far as the salaries go - hey, it induces weight loss:-). What can be better...