Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Musical Instruments In Shul

Yesterday I linked a video of a musical selichos. I have my reservations about this practice because of the FIERCE opposition of the poskim to using musical instruments for tefillah which is a copy of the church and the Reformers ח"ו. Such as this teshuva: 


What I wonder about is whether the poskim would be opposed to this practice today when it is done for the sole purpose [we hope] of inspiring people. The reality is that in the more "modern" shuls certainly, the music gets people a LOT more into things than when it is just words [that many don't understand much of anyway]. 

Compare a Carlebach selichos with a regular maariv which is often slightly less lively that the activity in a cemetery at 2am. So maybe since times have changed it is now not only not forbidden but recommended. 

Or maybe not....  

I DON'T KNOW!!!