Saturday, February 24, 2018

One Mitzva

A man tries to enter Heaven but is stopped by the Angel who keeps the Pearly Gates.
The Angel explains that it is not easy to get into Heaven. There is a certain criterion to be met before entry is allowed. The Angel asks the man several questions. Was he religious in life?
He answers, "No!"
Did he attend shul on Shabbos and Yom Tovim?
He answers, "No!"
Did he give Tzedakah to the poor?
He answers, "No!"
Did he do any good deeds while on earth?
He answers, "No!"
Did he help his neighbor?
He answers, "No!"
The Angel says, "Not good! Not good at all!" In exasperation the Angel says, "Look, everybody does something nice sometime. Work with me, I'm trying to help. Now think!"

The man says, "There was this little old lady who was surrounded by a dozen hoodlums when I came out of the drugstore. They had taken her purse and were shoving her, taunting and abusing her. I got so mad I threw my bags down, fought my way through the crowd and got her purse back. I helped her to her feet. Then I went up to the biggest, meanest dude and told him how despicable, cowardly and mean he was; and then I spit in his face."

"Wow", says the Angel, "That's impressive. When did this happen?"

"Oh, about ten minutes ago," replied the man.