Thursday, February 25, 2010

True Honor

Now that I have taken my Pre-Shabbos dip into the purifying waters of the Rova mikva, I will allow myself to tell a story about the HOLY OF HOLIES GAON YISRAEL VIKODSHO RAV AVRAHAM YITZCHAK HAKOHEN KOOK.

This story was related by Rabbi Shmuel Shezuri of blessed memory: When Rav Kook returned to Israel in 1925 from his fundraising trip to America, the residents of Jerusalem wanted to set up a gate of honor on the main street that led to his house. At first the authorities gave them permission but then it was revoked. The gate that had been set up was taken down and moved to a side street.

When the politician in charge came to the Rav to visit, he began to apologize and explain what compelled him to revoke his permission. It would cause traffic problems, he explained. The Rav was not bothered in the slightest and said:" The gemara says that there are two types of pains [yissurim], pains that come as a result of sin and pains that come as a result of G-d's love [yissurim shel ahava]. When I was in America I learned about a third type of pain - pains of honor. They gave me such a tremendous amount of honor, from the Astor Hotel until the beach, a distance of two hours, the road was cleared of traffic in order that my car could pass - until I felt great pain from all of this honor. Why are you apologizing?! You eased my pain! On the contrary, I appreciate it!!" The politician was QUITE impressed.

Let me explain a little bit more. Why does Rov Kook not need honor? Because he is filled with G-dliness!! G-d is filled with honor [ubiheichalo koolo omer kavod, baruch kavod Hashem mimkomo] and Rav Kook is suffused with this honor. When he starts receiving honor from external sources, it is almost insulting. I have G-d! I don't need validation from human beings. So superficial, so meaningless!!

Sweetest friends!! Your value is not determined by how many people friended you on Facebook but by how close you are to the Source of all being. Everything else is merely one facet of the falsehood of this world.

May we all merit to be filled with true honor - and then share this honor with others. Aizehoo mechubad? Hamechabed es habriyos.

Love, Blessings and A Heavenly Shabbos Sweetest And Most Beloved Friends!!