Friday, September 3, 2010

Marriage #8

There is a mitzva from the Torah to judge others favorably. I found something interesting. The more I like and respect a person the more likely I am to judge him favorably.

When a spouse [or anyone else for that matter] does something that bothers you, assume the best. She didn't mean it, he forgot, she tried her best, etc. This will bring peace to the home. If you are wrong and the person really had bad intentions - you will still bring peace to the home. Can't lose.

It happened to me once that someone judged me extremely unfavorably. It was actually quite hurtful that someone would think something so horrible of me when the reality [which only I can know because the person was judging my intentions] was the complete opposite. Some time later he asked me for forgiveness, telling me that he is sorry - but what I did was really horrible...

So instead of changing his own self and judging someone favorably, he decided to stand by his position [judging unfavorably, which is against halacha], continuing the previous injustice perpetuated.

SWEETEST FRIENDS - WHEN YOU JUDGE SOMEONE FAVORABLY, HASHEM JUDGES YOU FAVORABLY.