Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Holding On And Letting Go

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

There are some things in the world I hold on to fiercely. Like the Old City. I was determined to be there FOREVER. Well, until they move me a few yards over to Har Hazeisim and mellifluously sang קל מלא רחמים. But then it happened.

I had to leave.

I cried a great deal. I felt like I was leaving my home. In fact - I was.

But I knew I had to let go. So I did. Now - I am perfectly happy with where I am. Not that I don't miss the Old City, I do when I think about it. But I don't want to live there anymore. I changed my will. For 21 years I wanted to live there but when I determined that it wasn't the right thing I changed my mind and decided that I want to live elsewhere.

It is still the holiest place in the world but it is not ratzon Hashem that every Jew merit living there. If it were then when Eretz Yisrael was given to the Jews in the time of Yehoshua all 12 tribes would have settled there.

Those who do live there are the MOST fortunate people on the planet. But those who don't can make peace with the fact that they are where Hashem wants them to be [we hope].

Even in Chutz La-aretz.

Some Jews are needed there so that [among other things] they can makes lot$ of things to facilitate Torah study and other mitzvos. Others are there to spread Torah. [Although I respect all of those people I offer a silent plea to the Borei Olam that he allow me to stay in Eretz Yisrael until the very end].

Other things we should hold on to and never let go: One's spouse. Good friends. A learning seder. Some things must be held on to no matter what the circumstances.

The secret is to let go of things that are to our detriment and hold on to things that are to our spiritual benefit.

When this post started I didn't plan to write anything. I just saw the quote and planned to suffice with that.

A change of plans.

Like life.