Monday, October 22, 2012

Welcome

I don't do all that many mitzvos so when I actually do something good it is a great opportunity to boast about it...

So here goes.

:-)

This Shabbos I was at Mincha and noticed a Jew whom I recognized as a fellow student in Yeshiva before 22 years [that is how Hebrew speakers say it, translating from לפני עשרים ושתים שנה - I am learning Hebrew:-)]. Now when I was in Yeshiva I didn't have much to do with him. He was one of those "tzadikim". Quiet, unassuming, soft spoken, a masmid. I, in contrast was not much of any of those things. So we went in different circles. The happy ending is that he is a successful Rosh Yeshiva today and I am happily still a simple "yeshiva bochur".

So why would I be of interest to this great Marbitz Torah?? Who knows. But despite that I approached him after davening [unfortunately the general custom in my neighborhood is that people don't converse during davening - despite the fact that everyone knows that the best conversations take place then] and said hello and introduced myself. We chatted amicably for a few minutes and parted. What struck me was how happy he was that I approached him. He thanked me at least twice for doing so.

Lesson: If you see someone - especially a guest in the neighborhood, try to make him feel welcome. It's easy and anyone can do it:-).