Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Holy Man

Today I was walking down 72nd and Broadway and I stopped at a book stand [as I often do, I have a weakness for books] to look at the various used books for sale. I picked out three and approached the seller and asked how much they will cost me. The pleasantly plump black man is usually pretty predictable. "Fiiiiive bucks" he usually says. I was ready and willing to hand over 15 dollars but he surprised me.

"On the house" he boomed with a smile.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, enjoy the books." [He knew that I know how to read because I look Jewish and all Jews are smart. Plus, I wear glasses:-)].

I was stubborn. "I'm willing to pay".

No it's fine, he assured me.

"Do you have enough money to live?" [I just took money out of the bank so I was feeling generous:-)]. By the look of him I wasn't sure.

He nodded. I thanked him and assured him that I would return.

One of the books was Holy Brother. I saw a story there that relates to a story I told in a recent post.

R' Shlomo Carlebach was once davening at the Kotel with his chevre and an old man approached  him. In furious tones he said "זה מקום קדוש ואתה איש טמא. לך מפה". [This is a holy place and you are an impure man. Leave!]

He then spit directly into R' Shlomo's face.

Frozen with shock, R' Shlomo's followers watched in horror as he began to wipe off the thick rivulets of spittle streaming down his face and waited for him to speak. Turning to the group, R' Shlomo said "Did you see the holy eyes of that man? We are privileged to have in our midst such a holy man!"

There was no anger, no rebuke, no sarcasm and no bitterness in his voice, just a sense of awe and marvel that such a holy man had crossed his path.