Monday, November 12, 2012

The Fight Is Over

You will forgive me for my zealotry. I was sitting here going about my business while a shiur was playing in the background. The honorable lecturer [whom I will not quote by name out of respect to him] was talking about Chasidus remarking with great confidence that the Vilna Gaon was correct in putting the Chasidim into cherem. There are many reasons that this is so, he said. One is that Rabbi Moshe Stern, the Be'er Moshe, a Chasidishe posek, permits one to go to mikva on Yom Kippur against the Rambam [Vol. 5/125]. I, of course, will go with the Rambam over this Chassidic Rabbi. End of his words.

I am sorry if you can see the blood going to my head. I often hear ignorance but it only really bothers me when it creates divisiveness and misrepresents and distorts the truth.

So the truth.....

A] If the Vilna Gaon were around today it is highly debatable if he would put Chasidim into cherem. Things have changed considerably. Today Chasidim are often more strict about halacha than their non-chasidic counterparts. They also learn Torah very seriously. The theological differences between Chasidim and Misnagdim are no longer known to most Chasidim and Misnagdim.

B] It is NOT a Chasidic psak to permit going to mikva on Yom Kippur [if one is a baal keri]. It is actually a GEMARA [Yoma 88]!! The Meiri [who predated Chassidus by a few hundred years] says that MOST sources permit a baal keri to go to mikva on Yom Kippur. It could be that even the Shulchan Aruch [who rules like the Rambam] would permit this practice if this person is careful never to daven before going to mikva [if a baal keri]. The Ben Ish Chai also permits this.

C] Please see [if you are interested] the aforementioned tshuva in the Be'er Moshe and the many sources he marshals to his defense and the sefer פסקי תשובה ח"ו עמוד רעא.

I quote: "Wise men - be careful with your words".

May we lay to rest this passe fight between Chasidim and Misnagdim and show respect for all.

Love always,

Me:-)