Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Songs Of Eretz Yisrael

I know that I am back tracking a little but it's OK. A friend in the neighborhood writes for a newspaper and asked me for sources on the power of niggun for an article he is writing. He came to the right place [not only because I love music but because I have a computer and can do a search and he doesn't...].

This is one idea I found: Yaakov tells his sons קחו מזמרת הארץ    - This is translated as "Take from the best of the land [meaning food, and bring it to the leader].

But not by Rebbe Nachman....

Rebbe Nachman said [if you were in the same Yeshiva as me about 3-4 years ago I gave this over on Shabbos afternoon Parshas Mikeitz in room 306]: Take from the ZMIROS of Eretz Yisrael. Bring him a niggun to elevate him. That's the greatest gift.

Asked Rav Moshe Tzvi Nerya: How can they give away such holy niggunim and risk that the filthy Egyptians will misuse them for their immoral desires??

The answer is that Yaakov hoped that they would bring over the niggunim and the niggun would spread around town and Yosef would hear it and it would inspire him to return to Hashem. [Yaakov didn't know that Yosef was the leader and had remained faithful to Hashem.]

The כח of a niggun!!

2-3-4 IVVVVDU ESSS HASHEM BI-SIMCHAAAAAAAAAA, IVDU ESSS.......!!!