Tuesday, November 7, 2017

More Spiritual?

I just heard in a shiur on line where the speaker [a very popular rabbi] said that kids off the derech are the most spiritual. 

REALLY? 

How does he know that? And if they are so spiritual - then why are they off the derech, watching movies, hanging out with members of the opposite gender and doing other things very unspiritual?? [I know - because of their parents, teachers, society etc. etc. I agree that there are often others at fault but I am also a fan of taking personal responsibility once reaching the age where one is responsible]. 

He is also saying that kids who daven, learn, honor their parents etc. are less spiritual than those who don't. 

I don't get it. Sounds really silly to me. Of course, every person has a spiritual side and a soul and we have to help them bring it out. And of course many of the OTD kids have beautiful, sweet, elevated neshamos [as we see from when they were on the derech and when they come back]. But this implication that the goods kids are essentially inferior to the kids who are misbehaving is troubling. 

Unfortunately, mp3 players even record things that don't make sense.