Sunday, November 5, 2017

Not Personal

Today is the yahrtzeit of Rav Shach. There is so much to say and so much has already been written. He became quite famous for his opposition to Lubavitch. He called them a cult and viewed the Rebbe as a משיח שקר. Rabbi Shlomo Lorincz [the Charedi representitive in the Knesset], who was very close to Rav Shach, wrote the following:

Maran's [i.e. Rav Shach] mesirus nefesh in this battle knew no bounds; I have already described in the first chapter the outcry of his heart, "Even if I knew for certain that they would burn me alive, I would still not desist in my campaign against false messianism, for this is bona fide avodoh zorah." 

It should be noted that in spite of his pitched battle against Lubavitch, Maran nevertheless recited Tehillim when the Rebbe became sick. At the time I asked him for an explanation, and he obliged, "My battle is against his erroneous approach, against the movement, but not against the people in any personal way. I pray for the Rebbe's recovery and simultaneously, also pray that he abandon his invalid way."