Sunday, February 11, 2018

Public Shaming

Chazal teach us that embarrassing someone is like killing him. 

Extreme - ehhh? 

There is even a discussion if a kohen who embarrassed someone is allowed to duchen as we forbid a kohen who killed to duchen. 

Why so bad? 

Today we understand. People have COMMITTED SUICIDE when embarrassed on social media. Take me - I am EMBARRASSED by what I write. But since I am embarrassing MYSELF, I am cool with it. In the winter, I am generally cool. But then I turn on the heat and I am not cool anymore. My teenage daughter tells me that I am NEVER COOL. [Full disclosure - I don't HAVE a teenage daughter. I have a daughter about to turn 22, Gila, a 7 year old, Leebie - celebrating her HUUUUUGE siddur party tomorrow (I asked her if she gets a "baby siddur") and a 3 year old named Adina שיחיו לימים טובים וארוכים].  

All seriousness aside: Embarrassing people [especially habitually] is grounds for losing one's portion in the world to come. No joke. Eternity is a LOOOOOONG time. Even longer that those ENDLESS lines at the airport ["no, I didn't pack my suitcase myself. Two aliens from outerspace did it for me"].  

There was recently another case of this in the Torah world. A Rav gave a shiur to his students months ago where he said some unpolitically correct things about the nature of a woman, a "religious" journalist working for the secular media found the video, and they made a whole news show about it saying that in this "mechina", the boys are taught to degrade women, thus endangering the future of the institution [and ruining this Rav's otherwise sparkling clean reputation and causing him great anguish]. 

It was a disgusting thing to do. This Rav has given thousands of shiurim, but this journalist found a few minutes that modern secular people [and some religious ones] would find offensive and tried to destroy him. 

When confronted with the ethical failing he defended himself "But I did the SAME THING to Rav Ovadiah Yosef and nobody said anything to me". 

BARUCH HASHEM!!! He disgraced the gadol ha-dor too. 

Ahhhh - I would NOT want to be him on the day of judgment [or any day].

Let us be very careful with the honor of other people. Too many lives have already been destroyed.