Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Conservation Of Money

I am a conservative. Not only do I like to conserve traditional values, I also like to conserve money. The Mishna says "הקב"ה חס על ממונם של ישראל" - G-d Himself is concerned that we should save money and I try to follow His path. So my theory is - if you can get 25 percent off when you buy something in a certain store, you can get 100 percent off if you don't buy it. I have saved a lot of money over the years with that philosophy. Another thing that helps is to realize that advertisements are all brainwashing. They spends millions upon millions on mind games trying to get you to buy their products. I don't buy it - pun intended. I just received an email telling me that I can get a discount on buying gas. 

Exciting. 

But it won't help. When I was a yeshiva bochur, I didn't have the money to get drivers license. In Israel, driving lessons are very expensive and [at the time] one had to take a minimum of 20. Then I got married and I still couldn't afford lessons. I had to pay the rent and for food and that was more than I could afford. So no driving lessons. I am 47 years old and I still can't drive. Frankly, I have no desire to do so. Cars are expensive to buy [or even lease], then there is the upkeep, gas, insurance, repairs etc. It really adds up. So I have saved tens and tens of thousands of dollars by not driving. At times, I am envious of those with cars who aren't dependent on public transportation but in the big picture, I don't feel I am missing out.     

I am well aware of the fact that everyone reading this drives and might even think I am a bit kooky [which, given my proclivity for a certain tzadik in the previous century, wouldn't be far from the truth] but I am not saying that everyone should do it. Most of us live in places where you can't survive without a car. We are almost all well to do and live in the suburbs where a car is absolutely necessary. Most people have at least two. But I grew up [did I ever do that?] in the city where public transportation was readily available and having a car was a huge hassle forcing one to find parking where there was none and to move the car early in the morning [when opposite side of the street parking rules were in effect] etc. Then I moved to Yerushalayim where there is also a lot of public transportation. Now I live in Givat Zeev where there are frequent buses to where ever I need to go. It is just one less huge expense in life and only a minor inconvenience. So when I see the ad telling me how I can get a discount on gas I remember that I am doing even better - I don't spent a cent on gas [which is also much better for the environment].

I also walk a lot more which is great for your health. I see my friends driving to and from shul when the few minute walk would be much better for them. Plus, they would get שכר פסיעות. But - they are used to the comfort and convenience of their cars. So they drive. 

Another way to save money is to leave the house without money or a credit card. I do it all the time and nothing bad ever happens. You can't spend it if it is not available. When I was single and my father gave me spending money, he never gave me a credit card. Only cash. Now I understand that this was to ensure that I only spend what I am given so there is a limit. My friends would walk around with credit cards and there was no limit. Now - I no longer get spending [or any other type of] money from my father [he should live and be well] so I spend even less of his money. Good for him!! He saves and I save. I save because I walk out of the house without money. That is something you can try. Or at least to only take a certain amount of cash to limit what you spend. Also, many people have a harder time spending cash than by credit card. It hurts to give away those crisp bills while the plastic comes right back into your wallet [if you have one - I don't:-) - another money saver] and you don't feel the expense. Just some vague idea that at some future point you will have to pay it - from your phone or computer so it won't really ever cost you "real money". 

Another way to save money is to delay gratification. When you see something you want to buy - promise yourself that you will get it next week. Next week you might realize you don't really need it after all. We constantly buy things we don't need and are just products [no pun intended] of the abject consumerist society in which we live [I don't usually have the opportunity to use the word "abject" so I am happy I did now]. By pushing things off, we buy less, less frequently. We also train ourselves to be less materialistic people. 

Another way to save money - vacations. Is it really worth 800 dollars a night to sleep in a hotel? You can sleep at home for free!! People go bananas paying their mortgages off and then go to hotels to sleep. Why? You have SUCH a comfy home!!! MORE COMFORTABLE than first class on any jet. So see it as a four thousand dollar a night experience as first class would cost. If you need to get away - OK. Go. Enjoy. But go to a place that is less expensive that you will enjoy just as much as a more expensive place. Like, instead of flying overseas, stay domestic. Go to Miami or something instead of Scotland or the south of France. Unless of course you are just DYING to go to those places. After you go and paid, ask yourself if it was worth it. If it wasn't - consider that next time you want to go away to an exotic location.     

If you save money you can retire earlier, you become less materialistic [as we already mentioned] and you have a lot left over to give to those less fortunate than you are. We are living in such affluence that for hundreds of millions, living one day with our creature comforts [clean water coming from our faucets, electricity, comfortable shoes, ample food etc.] would be the experience of a lifetime. They would feel like kings and queens having what we totally take for granted. 

If money needs to be spent - like on one's spouse or children, then spend it. Frugality is a middah you should practice willingly on yourself but not to be imposed on others. 

The BEST SPENT MONEY is either on shalom bayit [if you want shalom - then "buy it"] mitzvos and on tzedaka. Those last FOREVER!!!