Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Shabbos TV

Question: If we’re afraid that a person who lives alone might become depressed, especially if God forbid depression could lead to suicidal thoughts, can they leave on a TV or radio over Shabbos to have other voices in the house and to pass the time? Someone elderly or alone with no human interaction for 25 hours? 


Rav Herschel Schachter Shlita: That’s a problem, we must not allow someone with such problems to let these problems get worse. One should definitely tell them to leave something on. Although, if a person listens to the news and it makes them depressed, maybe they shouldn’t listen to the news. 

The question is not even a question. Can a person leave on the TV if otherwise he is going to kill himself? OF COURSE he should! The question is - Will not having the TV lead to suicide? If not, does being sad and lonely allow one to keep the TV on all Shabbos.

I once knew an oooolllld, never married gentleman, who would have his TV on the whole Shabbos [he liked to watch Mets games]. When I was a child, I found it odd. As an adult, I totally understand him. Being alone the whole Shabbos can be painful. The question is whether this is permitted. 

I don't know. 

I will say this: When you are young, develop a taste for Torah so that TV has no interest for you. How can one compare the RAW PLEASURE of learning a Teshuva of Rebbi Akiva Eiger with watching Seinfeld [I have never actually watched Seinfeld and it is probably off the air - but that is the show that came to mind. I just checked. They stopped the show in 1998. Boy am I out of the loop. HODU LASHEM KI TOV!!!!!].