Saturday, July 24, 2021

Tu B'av Thoughts - Part 2

PLEASE! Don't give oler singles mussar or advice UNLESS THEY ASK FOR IT. It is insulting and hurtful. 

In general, unsolicited advice is not advised. It is telling someone that you know what is better for them than they themselves do. 

I have an acquaintance who barely knows me, is considerably younger, not exactly the picture of success himself, who likes to tell me what I should be doing with my life. Like - shouldn't you know me before you tell me what is good for me? And don't you think that at my age I have an idea of what is right for me? I mean, I have spent many many deep, intimate moments with myself and the only person who REALLY knows me is .... me:-)! Everybody else just gets a glimpse. Appreciate that. 

Also, don't think that you are an expert on getting married b/c you are married. It is just a gift from Hashem - not b/c of your unique talents. And just b/c he/she is not married doesn't mean that they are immature and/or don't know how to have a healthy relationship. Or that they don't REALLY want to get married - b/c if they did they would of course be married.

Also don't think [and you probably don't] that you are a better human being than a single person b/c someone wanted to marry you and this person is still single. I have known many many single people who were/are much better people than I am. 

Also, if people would give 1/100 of the thought, effort and tfillos into the shidduchim of others than they did for themselves  - there would be a lot more married people. So think, make suggestions and FOLLOW THROUGH. Unlike so many who say "I have someone for you" - and then the single person never hears from them again [or a month later...].