Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Don't Confuse Needs And Wants

People often confuse needs and wants. 

"He/she NEEDS a car."

Maybe. 

But I have never been in a situation when I "needed" a car. I don't drive. So man can go almost 50 years w/o a car and manage just fine. I understand that there are certain areas where one lives where it is almost impossible to get anywhere w/o a car but people choose to live in such places. I grew up in the city and we didn't own a car.  

"He/she WANTS a car." Better. 

"He/She NEEDS a phone". 

Maybe. 

But I remember a time not so long along when phones didn't exist. We all did just fine. Maybe even better. Many people are much happier when they are not with their phones. Billions of people manage w/o. 

"He/She WANTS a phone." Better. 

Most of the things we think we need - we really don't. 

We NEED oxygen. We NEED basic food [in small amounts] and sleep.

Live more simply and be happier while focusing on what really matters.