Monday, August 27, 2012

Dor Li-dor - The Sequel

With respect to the post "Dor Li-dor", I received an email from a friend who is a fundraiser and he told me that the woman was right in not opening up for me as she doesn't know who I am and there have been stories of terrible things happening when a woman opened the door for a stranger. So I should have been "dan li-kaf zchus". So ladies beware - don't open the door for strangers.

As a post script I emailed her husband twice and received no reply. I will similarly judge him favorably that he wants to give but is inundated with requests.

The point of the post was not to be critical of this woman [or her husband] but to reveal the feelings of the person on the other side of the door and to create heightened sensitivities within us all. In Parshas Mishpatim [22/24] the pasuk says "Im kesef talveh es ani es ha-ani imach" - Which may be translated as "If you lend money to the poor person who is WITH YOU". We have to feel that we are WITH the collecter. Pretend you are him and ask yourself how you would like to be treated and treat him accordingly.