Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Trying To Grow Up

After I cracked my computer screen the other day I managed to lose my i-river on which I recorded over 1500 shiurim. And my earphones. They were in the carrying case that normally holds my computer so it was a package deal.

I unfortunately didn't mange to feel particularly badly. Firstly - It is a gift from haShem. Why be upset when you receive a gift??

Second - I couldn't help but think about the philosopher Diogenes. Diogenes, we are told, was a man who lived happily with the barest of necessities. He didn't lack because he didn't need. He lived in a pit in the ground.

One day as he sat in his pit one of his loving students said to his teacher "I will get you whatever you want!"

"Anything?" inquired Diogenes.

"Anything!" the student answered emphatically.

"Ok, can you move aside. You are standing in my sunlight..."

Another time all of his writings were burned in a fire. He exclaimed with derision, "Of what value can something be if it can be destroyed by a mere fire."

I love people. Torah. HaShem. Things? Shmings!! I see my connection to things as a remnant of my childhood that I must grow out of. [Ending a sentence with the word "of" is probably against the rules of grammar. Sadly, my high school grammar teacher is dead so nobody really cares anymore. May her neshama have an aliyah.]

Now I just have to convince my yetzer hara that he is being childish...