Thursday, August 9, 2012

Nefesh Yochanan Is Born!

An email that is circulating.  You can believe every word..... I vouch for it:-)

PLEASE SEND TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON YOUR EMAIL CONTACT LIST IF YOU CAN. THANKS! I APPRECIATE IT....

Sweetest friends amazing news!!

MAZEL TOV!!!

As many of you know last year I started a kollel here in the holy city of Yerushalayim. Baruch Hashem a lot of Torah was learned. We are going from strength to strength. After much deliberation and soul searching I decided to fulfill my long time dream and to open up a "centrist orthodox" [excuse the labeling]  post high school yeshiva. "Excited" is not the word to describe my feelings. "Euphoric" is probably better. An institution where I will be able to realize my educational goals and philosophy. A yeshiva where gemara is not only studied but also comprehended, absorbed and assimilated into the students' souls. A yeshiva where a heavy emphasis is placed on character improvement and personal introspection. A yeshiva where the spirit of the holy Baal Shem Tov permeates the atmosphere. The chasidic stress on simcha in Avodas Hashem, a constant strengthening of Emunah, a belief in tzadikim and a desire to come close to them, an understanding of tfillah and an EXPERIENCE of tfilla, will be the hallmarks of the yeshiva. The curriculum will consist primarily of gemara but with the understanding that we only learn in order to become holier more spiritual and more G-dly. Of course the gemara will be supplemented with other subjects as well such as mussar, chassidus and kitvei HaRav Kook. EVERY yeshiva is great but I believe that our yeshiva will fill a need in our community. As Rosh Yeshiva I hope to have a close personal connection with each and every boy whom I will treat as my son. I am not speaking with platitudes that are so common in our society of falsehood. I really mean it and those who have known me in my 20 teaching career can vouch for me that I really do care for the talmidim not only when they are in yeshiva but after they leave as well. Every boy who knows me is aware that he may call me 24/6 and that every single email is promptly answered. I want to spread the Light in a big way so I am taking upon myself this big project.

The Yeshiva's name is Nefesh Yochanan, after the saintly Tolna Rebbe Rav Yochanan Twersky ztz"l, whose sterling character should serve as a model for all of the students. My Senior Maggid Shiur is HaRav Ari Klapper Shlita who is not only an outstanding talmid chacham but a person of especially fine character and yiras shomayim. His complete dedication has already been evident in the incipient stages of our development.  We also have a CEO, Rabbi Yehoshua Looks Shlita, a graduate of Harvard Business School, who brings many years of experience both in the corporate world and the Jewish educational system to our fledgling institution. With the help of my two partners we already have a beautiful facility with a Beis Medrash and dining room in Ramat Beit Shemesh. A dorm is available as well to complete the picture.

The kollel is continuing but I have merged with another kollel in order to lessen the strain so that I can focus my energies on the new project. We hope to have a kollel together with the yeshiva so that the kollel fellows can develop the boys learning skills. Those who gave already to support Torah, your contributions are greatly appreciated. Your reward is eternal.

I will be in the States for the next 3 weeks [from Monday] in order to start recruiting. The yeshiva will open in 12 months and one week, please G-d. It is a very costly undertaking and of course I am starting with just about nothing but I am confident that those who have helped me until now will continue to do so. I am also confident that we will find new people who are excited about the project and will be the "Nachshons" and help us get off the ground. Those who do, will have the merit of ALL of the learning for many years to come [I am not planning to retire for at least another 30 years. Rav Klapper is much younger than I am so he will go even longer Iy"H]. I firmly believe that this is a worthwhile investment.

Anybody who wants to be part of this historic beginning and/or to contribute to the kollel can make tax deductible checks out to "Chasdei David" and send to me at [Ally Ehrman] 115 Central Park West NY NY 10023 apt. 9b. [In a few months we will have our own 501c3 tax deduction. Just waiting for the IRS to approve]

If you know any 12th graders who are motivated to learn and grow in a positive atmosphere of Limmud HaTorah with simcha and who want to fall in love with the gemara - please tell them about me and me about them. It will be a great "shidduch".             

We are working hard to get this off the ground. I REALLY REALLY appreciate everyones help until now and I ask for your partnership in the future. We are only as strong and effective as our donors allow us to be. וכל המרבה הרי זה משובח.

With much love
and great anticipation for the future,

Ally Ehrman