Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Getting In Touch

Something I read [believe me - I have never heard of this hit TV show. When I was watching the "idiot box" it was the Cosby Show and Cheers. That was the '80's:).]

There is a scene in the hit TV show “The Office” in which one of the characters, Andy, leaves work to go to a skating rink with the hope of making new friends. The scene opens with a depressing tone as Andy finds himself in an empty rink. The lights are dim, the music low, and the energy drained.
As the scene progresses, Andy becomes increasingly comfortable skating alone. The lights begin to shine and the music picks up its beat. Andy requests his favorite song and starts dancing. The mood is transformed – and he is soon having the time of his life.

When he returns to the office his friend asks him, “So, Andy, did you meet anyone?” After a slight pause he responds, “Yeah, I met a great guy. His name is Andy and I really like him.” Alone, on a dark and deserted skating rink, Andy meets his long lost best friend: he discovers himself.

Recently at a bus stop in Ramat Shlomo [a neighborhood in Northern Jerusalem] a fellow asked me to borrow my phone. I told him that I don't own one. He then asked "What do you do when you want to get in touch with someone?"

I answered "I get in touch with myself" [אני מתקשר לעצמי].

Try it. I think you will find that you will quite like yourself.