Monday, September 7, 2015

A Passion For Minchas Chinuch And Rebbi Akiva Eiger

From HaGaon Rav Aharon Lichtenstein ztz"l, in his fascinating autobiographical reflections -  here [I thank a beloved friend and Ra"m at Yeshivat Har Etzion for sending]:

..... frustrations with oneself, as I have mentioned, and frustrations in terms of things that I would have liked to have attained more fully in the arena of harbatzat Torah and the public arena in general.  I think that we have been able to do much at the yeshiva here: I think we have produced many students of whom I am justifiably proud, but I would have liked to see a better “batting average.”  In terms of some of the intensity, some of the sweep and the scope that you have, say, in some of the Charedi world, I would have liked to see more of that here.  I would have liked to build a larger community of people who are genuinely, passionately moved by a mishna in Avot or by a gloss of Rabbi Akiva Eiger.  We have not been able to build this.  When I say “we,” I do not mean just Yeshivat Har Etzion, but our whole milieu.  The world of which Yeshivat Har Etzion is a part is doing many wonderful things, but we have not yet merited to build the kind of community to whom the Minchas Chinuch speaks with a passion.