Thursday, September 24, 2015

Kivrei Tzadikim


On a recent trip to kivrei tzadikim, a very popular [with many of the readers of mevakesh as well] mashpia quoted the following (11:40-) (reading from a writeup related to a R. Yosef Dayan of Eretz Yisrael) that:

"One hour of Torah and tefillah at the burial site of a tzadik, he used to say, is equivalent to hundreds of such hours in a Beis HaMedrash."

What does that mean? Is there a source for this? Should we then move our yeshivos and kolleim to cemeteries?


I really don't get it. I would say the following: Hundreds of hours of learning and davening in a holy Beis Medrash [a mini-beis hamikdash according to Chazal] are hundreds of times more valuable than an hour of learning or davening at a kever of a tzadik - there is also a special value in davening and learning at the grave of a tzadik that maybe cannot be accomplished when learning elsewhere.
I love tzadikim. They are holy. Their kevarim are holy. But I think that one must not lose perspective.

If there are sources that support his claim, I would be indebted to anybody who sends them to me.