Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Looking For Lost Mazel


There was once a fellow in the forest. He heard someone asking "What are you looking for?"

He looked around and realized that it was the fruit tree next to him talking. He answered "I am looking for my lost mazel [good luck]". The fruit tree said that if you find my lost mazel, please give it back to me. I haven't been able to grow fruits for a long time. He agreed.

Then he saw a young beautiful woman tied to a different tree. She asked him what he is looking for. He answered that he is looking for his lost mazel. She said that if he finds her lost mazel, he should return it to her because she was kidnapped and is stuck in the forest, far from the palace. He agreed.

Then he saw a lion. The lion asked him what he is looking for. He said that he is searching for his lost mazel. The lion said "If you find mine, please give it back to me. I haven't eaten for days". He agreed.

He then found himself next to the fruit tree once again. The tree said to him "I have a feeling that the reason that I am not able to grow fruits is because I have a treasure chest of gold, silver and diamonds underground that is weighing upon my roots and therefore I can't grow fruits. Please dig underground and remove the treasure chest."

The man said that he would love to help but cannot because he is looking for his lost mazel.

He then saw the beautiful woman who said that if he would just untie her, she would marry him and they would go back to the palace and live as prince and princess.

He answered that he would love to help but cannot because he is searching for his lost mazel.

He then encountered the lion who said that he realized that if he would just eat some "brain food" [i.e. the human brain] he would be full and satisfied. Minutes later the man was found lying on the ground with no life while the lion walked away, satisfied with his tasty [and free!] meal.

AHHHHHHH.

The moral of the story is that in life, we often have great opportunities right before our very eyes but miss out on them. This week, from now until next Wednesday and then afterwards on Succos, is one such opportunity. We can turn EVERYTHING around, clean our slate, and reJEWvenate ourselves.

We can then experience the greatest simcha of the year during Succos and climb to high madreigos in Avodas Hashem. Let us not miss out....