Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Chutzpah

I just heard someone say that as a young man he told Rav Aharon Kotler that Bnei Akiva is the correct hashkafa. 

Maybe it is - maybe it isn't [I have an opinion on the matter:-)]. But how does a kid go to the gadol ha-dor and tell him that his hashkafa is wrong and that the kid knows better?

I learn with chavrusas and give shiurim to kids who are using their smartphones as I explain the gemara. That is also not the height of respect. But lecturing to the gadol ha-dor??!

Reminds me of Rav Chaim Yaakov Godvicht z"l, the Rosh Yeshiva of Kerem Bi-yavneh, who lamented the fact that despite the fact that he was a talmid of two gedolei ha-dor, the Chazon Ish and the Brisker Rov, 17 year old kids would nevertheless "show him the error of his ways" in his attitude about the army and the State. 

Moshiach is on the way.

חוצפה יסגי. Chutzpah runs amok.