Sunday, November 29, 2015

Things You Shouldn't Do On A Date

Everything I say applies to both genders equally....

1] Don't fall asleep on her.

2] Don't not show up

3] Don't come late.

4] Don't text [or certainly have conversations on your phone] as she is speaking to you.

5] Don't look in every possible direction except at her [unless you are makpid on shmiras eynayim as you should be. Ask a big Rov first.....].

6] Try your best to be interested in everything she has to say. Don't show signs of boredom.

7] Try not to walk out on her. Go to the bathroom before the date and if you can last until after - great. 

8] Be involved and participitory. She is not here to entertain you and you should be equally engaged.

9] Remember that she is a person too with feelings and try to make her feel good and important. 

10] If she says something intelligent or meaningful - tell her! 

11] Avoid all types of rudeness.

12] Add your own.

----------------

What I wrote above is OBVIOUS! 

P-A-S-H-U-T!!

It goes without saying that all I wrote applies equally to rabbbeim and mageeddei shiur [which is the point I wanted to make. If you should treat a girl with respect - a rav requires no less]. 

Here is the kicker....

EVERYTHING I described, all of the negative behavior that is insulting and offensive, is practiced by talmidim on countless occastions - and they don't even realize that they are doing anything wrong.

As someone who has been zoche to give many thousands of shiurim, I can say that in just about every shiur there are sleepers, iphone users [sometimes even as I learn bi-chavrusa one on one, the person willl be using his phone above or below the table], escapees in the middle, late-comers, no-shows, people that stare at me and don't react when I ask them a question in order to encourage participation and exhibit other acts of rudeness and disrespect [outside of calling me insulting names like "Stupid-Al". At least not to my face:-)]. And I must add that these are good, solid people who have no malicious intent.

I am not alone. I observe this in many shiurim that I don't give - even from very chashuv rabbanim. 

I lament the disgrace to Torah and to those who teach it and use this forum to register a protest and to exhort all of my beloved-sweet-holy readers to be vigilant in preserving kavod hatorah umilamdeha. The Rambam [in the Ya"d] defines the mitzva of Torah as 1] teaching and learning and 2] honoring those who teach it.

Huuuuge.