Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Power Of A Thank You

Rabbi Eisenman

My cell phone rang this morning.

Big deal”; after all, your cell rang this morning as well.

The screen indicated a ‘917’ area code which meant the person was from New York.

So what? Don’t we all get calls from ‘917’?

True, but this phone call was different from all others.

I was unable to answer so I allowed the call to go to voice mail.

Later, I listened to the message.

To my shock it was a message from one of the most well-known Rabbis in New York.

 I was filled with awe and pride; “Rabbi Famous” is calling little old me.”

I quickly called back; however, he did not answer and I left a message.

I began to indulge in some self-pride as I wondered ‘how many people does “Rabbi Famous” call’?

Yet, after the initial swelling of my head, I suddenly thought, “Oy, if ““Rabbi Famous” is calling me it must be that some horrendous scandal has occurred and he wants me to be involved!”

I could see the sleepless nights heading my way… the endless phone calls… the attempts at mediations…. The posturing and the threats…. And worst of all, the time and the anxiety and the mental anguish which takes months to recover from….

Woe is me!” I thought!” Why does “Rabbi Famous” have to call me?”

Suddenly, the phone rang.

It was “Rabbi Famous”!

 My heart was racing and my hands were clammy and cold.

I was sure that “Rabbi Famous” would hear the thumping sound of my heart.

Finally, I answered.

 “Shalom, Is this Yitzchok Eisenman?”

Yes, it is.”

I braced myself for his next sentence.

I forced down the panic attack which was festering within me and I repressed my anxiety.

 I focused my mind back to a time when a call was a pleasant experience and was never the harbinger of angst.

Finally, “Rabbi Famous” continued.

Are you the same Ron Yitzchok Eisenman who writes for Mishpacha magazine?”

Uh, yes, it is”, I said haltingly.

Was he going to berate me for something I wrote?


 I’ll bet he was upset about that one; after all, which rabbi writes about baseball!!

I just had to call you to tell you how much I enjoyed your article about the Mets and especially how you and your brother were so awed when you saw Gil Hodges and you screamed “Let’s Go Mets!”.

 You really captured the scene and brought me back to an idyllic part of my life.

I can still remember my father taking me to Idlewild Airport (now JFK) to see the Brooklyn Dodgers arrive from out of town; when I saw Gil Hodges I was in seventh heaven!

Whoever did not grow up in Brooklyn cannot possibly appreciate how much baseball meant to us!

I just had to call you to thank you for the moving and meaningful trip down memory lane and for the Simcha and the smile you brought me.”

I hesitated and said, “Thank you”.

 I then paused and waited to hear the ‘real’ reason for the call.

Instead, “Rabbi Famous” says, “Anyway, I just wanted to thank you. Keep up the good work and be well.”

Wait” I almost shouted. “Are you telling me that the only reason you called me was ‘just’ to say ‘thank you’ for the article?”

Yes, that’s all I called for. I imagine you are busy and I have to get back to my Shiurim so be well and Kol Tuv.

I was still shaking as I put the phone down; however, now it was no longer from anxiety; rather, it was from the realization of just how much, a simple, sincere and heartfelt ‘thank you’ can change your entire day.