Monday, May 2, 2016

A Meal To Remember

Somehow, some way, at some point in my existence, I was once invited to a Yuntiv seuda at the home of a well known gadol and tzadik in Eretz Yisrael [don't ask me whom...].

I was struck by a number of things.

1] It was so completely normal. He spoke to me like a regular host would speak to a guest ["where are your parents from?" etc. and took a keen interest in my stories of family history], he served me [!!], he helped clear off, he laughed and ate regular portions of food. He spoke to his children and grandchildren like any normal father and grandfather would. There was also divrei Torah and zemiros of course but nothing too heavy.

2] I have never met anyone who could have an ego six times the size of Texas [based on his remarkable abilities and accomplishments and the amount of kavod he receives] and yet is virtually EGO-LESS. I was floored. He didn't talk about himself at all. He certainly didn't try to impress anyone with his vast knowledge or sparkling brilliance. I have met other talmidei chachomim and when I complimented them on their sefarim and shiurim they were very pleased and interested in what I had to say. He wasn't interested at all in my compliments or in my "dazzling display" of expertise in his Torah but rather tried to direct the praise back my way. I asked him about a sefer that had been published based on his Torah and he was very vaguely aware ["I think that 'so and so' wrote it"], asked his wife and clearly didn't care very much. Not because he doesn't love Torah [he does] but because he doesn't love HIS Torah. Ego nullified. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I must say - I have a bigger ego than he has and I have nothing to have an ego about!!

3] At one point a kashrus question arose and I became a bit tense. He smiled, told me its fine and to relax and that was it. C-H-I-L-L-E-D!

4] He repeatedly complimented his wife on the food throughout the meal. In the decades he has been married he has doubtless done this every time so it comes out to tens of thousands of compliments.

5] He tried VERY HARD to give ME kavod the whole time. Since I am a nobody and a nothing it was a complete act of appreciation of one's basic tzelem Elokim [that I have - I hope..] without regard to whether I actually earned anything. This is how we should treat everybody we meet.

6] I said something he disagreed with but instead of arguing he said "My wife thinks the same way" and called on his wife to validate my opinion.... She did and told a story of a famous mashgiach to prove it.

7] The food was delicious and plentiful. [He told me at the beginning to eat or not eat whatever I want]. 

8] The meal was long enough to eat well but not one of those that you just want to end already which never seems to happen.

An experience I will never forget and wanted to record it here for posterity.

זכות הצדיקים יעזור ויגן ויושיע!!