Tuesday, July 20, 2010

From Faithfulness To Harlotry

"Aicha hayisa li'zona kirya ne'emana"- How could the faithful city [of Jerusalem] turn into a harlot. How is a city "faithful" or a "harlot".



Faith in Hashem does not merely mean that you believe He exists. It is MUCH more than that. Faith means to follow, to be drawn [hamshacha]. If you truly have faith in Hashem you follow and cling [dveykus] to him without letting go. Faith elevates you, as the pasuk says about Mordechai "Vayehi OMEIN es Hadasa" - he raised [omen from the word emunah - faith] Hadasa.



Jerusalem was connected, followed and was drawn after Hashem but She turned into a harlot. A harlot is connected to no one. The people of Jerusalem transgressed the 36 sins for which one is liable to kares, being cut off from Hashem. It is no coincidence that the gematria of aicha is 36. The Jews of Jerusalem who had previously been connected, transgressed the 36 sins which result in kares, being cut off, and Jerusalem thereby became as a harlot who is cut off. [Sfas Emes]

Our job on Tisha B'av is to RECONNECT, to be daveyk la'shem. That is true emunah. Every decision is life must be determined by one factor -what is the will of Hashem? As a person walks down the street he/she thinks "AIN OD MILVADO" - there is no other true existence outside of Hashem. When a person davens, he/she does so from the heart because Hashem is really listening.

I was once at a convention of Rabbis and educators [unrelated to any institution I am associated with] who were discussing ways to improve Jewish education. I was asked my opinion. I said that I think that the root of many problems is that there is a lack of awareness and connection to Hashem among the students. Yes, many learn and keep halacha but the sense that all that matters is the will of Hashem and Hashem as a living reality in the students life is missing. One example is the yearly fights that take place between children and parents about plans for the future. Rare is the student who says - "I would love to please my parents but ONLY if that is the will of Hashem. If I am told by my Rav that the Torah requires that I do otherwise I will follow the Torah." If more students would say this then there would be almost no yeshiva graduates in secular colleges [with co-ed dorms] and almost all would remain in Yeshiva for at least three years. The halacha is very clear about both issues, namely that in the case of conflict between children and parents with respect to Talmud Torah or matters relating to prohibited behavior one must not listen to ones parents wishes. [Of course the child must remain exceedingly respectful and try to bring the parent to his side.] Yet, I see that the demands of our physical world [parents, society, financial concerns] are often much more compelling to the student than the "abstract" will of Hashem. Hashem as a living being is in my experience almost never brought up in the decision making process. Very little emunah.

Well, I thought and still think I had a very good point and suggested that we talk more about Hashem. A Rabbi present then lambasted, castigated and berated me telling me that I am wrong. How could I say that?? [He is still mad at me to this day!!]

I say it because it's true. Rare is the person I meet who is really Hashem centered on a minute to minute basis. If people were, it would be a different world. Of course this writer makes no claims on being a true ma'amin, but as a resident of Yerushalayim the kirya ne'emama, I hope to become one in the future.

And I hope that my sweetest friends join me.

Love and blessings ובציפיה לגאולה השלימה