Thursday, July 26, 2012

More On Daf Yomi...

I received the following email regarding this post, from a friend, a talmid chacham who lives beyond the "green line" [I have never actually seen a green line] in our holy country [I also live beyond this imaginary line and invite you to come:-)]. It was entitled "Sorry, but I need to disagree".

Background:
Boy A: Huge masmid in yeshiva and about to leave for college.
Boy B: Mediocre hasmada in yeshiva and about to leave for college.

It is now almost August 3rd, perfect time for any person to begin the daf yomi cycle.

Boy A takes your approach and says daf yomi doesn’t do it for me.  It’s not the same thing as gemara be-iyun.  He then leaves for college.

Boy B decides “hey, this daf yomi thing is pretty cool.  That was such a great siyum hashas.  Look at all this achdut in Klal Yisrael.  And wouldn’t it be great if I can learn every day in the future and not have to figure out what to learn?  Daf yomi sets the pace and keeps me connected to learning.”

I’ve seen many type A and many type B.  Yehi chelki im Boy B.

Your point is well-taken, for people full-time in yeshiva.  But for the rest of Klal Yisrael who don’t choose full-time yeshiva as their life path, the people doing daf yomi stay learning.  I have seen Boy A fizzle out once he leaves yeshiva way too many times.

I worked a year in computers and was connected to daf yomi and a bit more (but not much more).  And I have been learning full-time in yeshiva for a number of years.  Believe me that I understand your sentiment about wanting to see the beautiful full lomdus of a daf (I’m proud of myself, but I salivated when I wrote that sentence – wow).  But, if my words could have the effect of keeping even ONE person from doing daf yomi… I’d be wary of saying it.

All of this is without even mentioning the bekiyut advantage learning daf yomi gave me.

First of all, nobody has to apologize for having a different opinion. We are Jews which is best defined as "Argumentative People".

Second, I agree. Daf Yomi is GREAT for many, many thousands. I was just presenting its disadvantages and reminding people of the importance of in depth study. In my smallness I was a maggid shiur for daf yomi for some time and found the experience rewarding.

EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY in this world has pros and cons, pluses and minuses, מעלות and חסרונות.