Monday, April 29, 2013

Travel Stories

Some of what has been going on:

I spent much of yesterday and some of today in transit. Today, on my way home from the bris of Yisrael Meir Gervis, a remarkable, unusual thing happened to me. I actually GOT ON THE RIGHT TRAIN AND DIDN'T END UP IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!:). Boring for the blog but a rare and thankful change from my usual escapades of ending up in the most out of the way places surrounded by people who are true representatives of everything I never want to be:). I must note that part of the way I was accompanied by a beloved friend and brother [it's not my fault that we have different parents] who made sure to hold my hand [figuratively speaking - even though in NYC anything goes:)] who made sure that I didn't get lost. But the last leg of the trip it was just me and thanks G-d - I made it home.

True story - Yesterday in the tachana merkazit  Penn Station a man walked by me and said in a positively sinister voice "Adolph Hitler". I answered [full disclosure - the following only happened in my imagination] "Indeed! You bear a STRIKING RESEMBLANCE to him. I will also assume that you share many of his character traits. Strong sedative medication would help you and the rest of society. You also don't smell nice. You should be a poster child for pro-abortion activists. Ever considered that??"

Today at the beautiful seudas bris a gentleman asked my name and I said "Elchanan Ehrman". He asked [in all seriousness] "Are you related to Ally Ehrman?"

Distantly.

Anyway - he then told me that he heard and enjoyed a shiur I gave on the sugya of שרטוט. Like, does he know that he made my month? The Yid even remembered the chidush I said in the name of Rav Leib Mallin. [Turns out that we went to high school together also - small world]. May Hashem bless him with prosperity [and that he should continue to display exquisitely good taste in Torah:):)].

Moral of the story: If you have something nice to say - say it. People are sensitive and can't help but enjoy a gut vort - a kind word.    

And a mazel tov to Rebbe Ephraim and his wife Sara!!! Torah chuppah and maasim toivimmmmmm!