Monday, April 15, 2013

Famous Rabbi Commits Suicide [OK - That is sensationalist, but read the post anyway:)]

Rov Moshe Shternbuch Shlita related that a certain gadol ba-torah was dying after his lungs had been consumed by all of the smoking he had done over the years. He called 10 people into his room and said "I know that I will be judged by Hashem as a SUICIDE because I am responsible for my death. But I wanted to tell 10 people that it is my fault and that I regret it and maybe that will be some sort of tikkun for my soul."

Soon after he passed away.

The conclusion the Rov comes to is obvious. He just says that if he signs a proclamation forbidding smoking most people won't listen anyway. If the doctors promising disease and early death doesn't help - a "kol-korei" [public proclamation] won't either.