Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Things Aren't So Pashut

The astonishment of life, is the absence of any appearance of
reconciliation between the theory and the practice of life.
 
 
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
 
This relates to the previous post. Life is complex. People are complex. Situations are complex. Things just don't fit into the nice neat boxes we would sometimes like them to. [Is it מותר to end a sentence with the preposition "to"?? Ahhhh - I just googled this shyla and found the following gem: "There’s no necessity to ban prepositions from the end of sentences. Ending a sentence with a preposition is a perfectly natural part of the structure of modern English". So there! You know - when I was in school back in the early 30's my least favorite subject was .... everything, but particularly grammar (and science and math). Now I write a lot in English and find myself quite interested in everything my poor, dead (now, not then) teacher was trying to teach. So Ms. Mayefsky, in the Oilam Ha-emes, I speak to you in Yiddish which is the language of preference there. Ich beyt mechila. Please forgive me for my insolence. English class is in fact more important that whether the pizza store is having a "three for the price of two" special. Have a lichtige gan eden and warmest regards to all. I DON'T believe this. The brackets in this post are far longer than the actual post. I got outta hand. Is that מותר?]