Sunday, December 7, 2014

Do People Enjoy Parting With Their Money?

I always prefer speaking positively - especially about Jews. In this post I spoke from my own unpleasant experiences and criticism of some wealthy Jews emerged [without ever saying names. BARUCH HASHEM I have attempted to write over 4000 posts without one word of lashon hara. I hope I have been successful].

I must add אל תדון את חברך עד שתגיע למקומו - How can I judge people who have the extremely challenging ניסיון העושר  - test of wealth, when I have never been in their shoes. Before you criticize someone you should first walk a mile in his shoes. This way, if he gets mad at you, you are a mile away - and you have his shoes:-).

I also received a communication from a good friend, a prominent talmid chochom, rabbi and leader in the US who differed with me. Vi-zeh lishono: I disagree with you on the fundraising post. "G'virim" don't mind parting with their money and they feel good about doing the right thing. They don't give when they don't have a shaychus to the person or they don't trust the person will be responsible with the funds. That's normal, they worked hard for the money (often that is the case).

I think him for the limmud zchus and am sure that it reflects his own positive experiences. So Baruch Hashem!! Am Yisrael is filled with רחמנים ביישנים וגומלי חסדים.

I also thank him and others for weighing in. The emes is very broad and requires different perspectives. That is what the gemara means when it says אלו ואלו דברי א-להים חיים - In order to get to the "words of the Living G-d" we need אלו ואלו - different opinions.