Wednesday, July 1, 2015

On Second Thought

Ron Yitzchok Eisenman, Rabbi, Congregation Ahavas Israel, Passaic, NJ  


This past Friday my wife and I headed on off to Manhattan to be Menchem Aveil  at the home of a family friend.


As timing would have it, although our intentions were noble, when we reached the home, the family had already left to their Shabbos location.


Since we were already in the city and we had some ‘extra-time’, we stopped to purchase a cold drink before heading back to Jersey (what’s the rush to head back to Jersey anyway?).


As we sat for a rare moment of serenity and privacy, a woman approaches me.


“Excuse you for disturbing; however, you look like you might observe Kosher. Is that true?”


I wondered for a second what I should answer this roving reporter; however, I realized that neither of us were in mood for satire so I quickly answered in the affirmative.


“Yes I do. How can I help you?”


“My friend is coming to spend Shabbat with me and I have not ‘done’ Shabbat in a while. I agreed to buy the food, so I was wondering if you could direct me to the nearest kosher grocery.”


I knew the neighborhood and I answered her that there is a kosher store not far and provided her with exact directions.


She thanked me profusely and as she was about to leave, she again stated excitedly, “It’s been so long since I have done Shabbat and I am so ‘pumped’ to say the blessing on the wine and the hallah. I really miss ‘doing the Shabbat’.”


That was it! How could I allow this ‘kiruv’ moment to pass?


The lady is basically begging to experience Shabbat!


Who needs Esther Jungreis or Aish.com?


Even a novice kiruv amateur like me can handle this one.


I am reaching in my pocket for my card…..


I am getting my pen readied to write her phone number…


I am about to invite her to Passaic for next Shabbos….


I can see it all now…. In three months she is davening at the Ahavas… in six months she is off to Rebbitzen Holly Pavlov and the next year she is back in Passaic with a Shaitel, six kids and 6000 pound suburban hurtling down Dwasline while munching Sushi on her way to an OA meeting while listening to Rebbetzin Tziporah Heller on her TAG approved IPhone!


Instant Olam Habah!


What a Short Vort!


Rabbi goes to Manhattan to pay a Shiva call ends up being ‘MeKarev’ the great, great granddaughter of Rabbi Yisroel Salanter and saves a generation of Jews…..


I can do it!


I can also do Kiruv!


This is such Hashgacha Protis!! (Divine Intervention)


As I am handing her my card and my mouth is about to utter the invite….


She says, “Yes, I am so excited to do Shabbat again with my friend after all since I am Catholic it’s not often I have this opportunity!”


“Oh, so you are Catholic? Uh…That’s nice… enjoy Shabbat.”


And as my wife and I drove back to Passaic I continued to marvel about the ways of He who plans all.