Thursday, April 21, 2016

Gratitude - Jewish Kindness

To my very sweet friends, shalom!!!!


I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the many people who performed acts of kindness on my behalf during my visit to the US. I am truly humbled by the tremendous warmth, love, care and chesed that I experienced.


Whether it was a warm, filling, delicious meal, a ride in a car, a place for Shabbos, hosting a shiur and many other types of chesed - so many people were there for me.



There are soooo many people who come to mind and I can only hope to repay every single person in any and every way. A special mention must be made of Rav Moshe Tzvi Weinberg, Rav Yehoshua Weinberg and Rebbi Eitan Katz who made the motzei Shabbos event in Teaneck such a rousing success. And of course the Teaneck suit lady who graciously sponsored the event.


I must also mention the Pollock family who do so much for me always. R' Yoni is always ready to drive me anywhere and his entire family are tremendous friends to me in many ways. They are so special and extraordinary.


I also thank my many beloved friends: R' Zach Sherman for organizing a shiur in YU. R' Yosef Wilcox for doing so in Landers. R' Avraham Yitzchak Jaspan [who will do anything and everything for me] and Rav Dori Levin for organizing shiurim in Edison. Dr. Ezer Weiss for going completely out of his way and driving me all the way back home late at night. Rav Chaim Shenkman for opening up his home and for being such a good friend. R' Yaakov Dov Slomnicki for having me over for Shabbos in Staten Island and organizing a shiur that was given in the Young Israel between mincha and maariv under the leadership of my good friend Rav Lehrfield. Also to Mr. and Mrs. Barry Weiss who opened up their home to me with their characteristic warmth and love. To Chana Beila Weinrich, Estee Goldschmiedt and Marguax Salig who opened their home in order to host a shiur for ladies in Kew Garden Hills. Next year they will have their own homes and will agree with their respective husbands to host many shiurim. To Rebbetzins Dahlia Berman and Aviva Orlofsky who made sure that I arrived home afterwards. Without them I would still be walking around Queens trying to find my way back to the city. They are also two of the best students I ever had in Seminary and am gratified for having been there just for them alone. To my brother R' Yosef Tzvi and his wife Myra for opening up their home in Passaic for Shabbos even though it was right before Pesach when company is the hardest. A happy birthday to my big brother TODAY. Many more to come in good health. I would publicly praise my brother for all he does but he forbade me from doing so. I thank Rabbi Weinberger of Passaic for honoring me with delivering a drasha in his shul. Also, to Mr and Mrs. Herschel Rothenberg for hosting me in their Abrahamic tent of glory. To my most beloved friend R' Yosef Jaspan for thinking of me one day when he was driving by and stopping to pick me up and driving me uptown to be makayim what my mother told "Don't take the subway at night". He is about my dearest friend on earth. To R' and Mrs. Chaim Schreck for having me over in their dwelling of the shechina and treating me to a delicious meal and transportation as well. To R' and Mrs. Yehuda Spindler who also graciously hosted and fed me in their holy home. To R' Shmuel Tzvi Rauch who has been about my most faithful friend for many years and is always there for me in so many ways. To Jonny Hanus who has a heart of gold and in his sweet and quiet way makes the world a better place in so many ways. Besides all of the good he does for me in so many ways - he also treated me to a delicious Sunday brunch in a kosher eatery on the Upper West Side. The girl who has the good fortune to marry him will be super lucky to spend her life with such a special person. To my most beloved friend, Rav Moshe Gavriel Bernstein who is beyond amazing in so many ways. He is a budding talmid chochom and true ben aliyah who understands what life is all about. There is nobody like him and together with his holy wife, he is building a very special home filled with kedusha, Torah and chesed. To R' Rafi Goodman and R' Zevi Blumenfrucht who are two faithful beloved friends on the UWS who always make me feel welcome when I come to town. To R' Chaim Yehoshua Austein for giving me a ride to the 5t's and is always there for me. To Rav Daniel Zweigbaum who together with his wife and two of the most special people I know. To R' Aharon Yisrael Feit who is a chavrusa, close friend, role model and tremendous baal chesed. To R' Shmuel Stein and R' Eytan Feldman who [together with a few other people already mentioned] saved me when I needed it most, on numerous occasions. To Mr. Henry Orlinsky who is a world class ish chesed and tzedaka. To R' Josh Goldberg who is a close friend and true ohev torah. To R' Yaakov Schulder who is very very close long time friend. I value our friendship and the special bond we have. To R' Ephraim Gervis is a tremendous oheiv Torah and oheiv Talmidei Chachomim. R' Shalom Yitzchak Chaim Dworkin who remains a close friend for 2 decades and whenever we get together it is always an exquisite pleasure. For that I thank him.


Of course I can't forget my parents who are incredibly devoted to all of their children and grandchildren and never want anything in return. I hope I can live up to their example. They allowed me to stay in their apartment while I was there and I can only imagine how much it would have cost me to stay in a hotel....


There are many, many, many more people to whom I feel indebted. I can't name all of them but that doesn't make me less appreciative. It is hard for me to believe how kind and wonderful so many people have been to me over the years but the facts are there. מי כעמך ישראל. It is not because anybody owes me anything but because people have such a kind and warm Jewish heart.


It reminds me a thought I once publicly shared:

We say הא לחמא עניא - This is the bread of affliction etc. anyone who is hungry should come and eat and anyone who is needy should come and have the Pesach.


Why do we open with an invitation to the poor to join us, a practice we don't find anywhere else. Obviously this has something to do with Yetzias Mitzrayim, but what??


We were in Egypt and were under foreign rule. This caused a psychological pressure that prevented us from being our true selves. What is a Jew? Let's check the DNA! We have CHESED throbbing through our veins. We are the children of Avraham Avinu, the paragon of chesed. When we were in Egypt this natural inclination was repressed. When were were released [as we are every year on Pesach night] it was like a spring that was held down was let go. We can finally be ourselves so we instinctively cry out "Poor unfortunate people PLEASE come join me. I need to GIVE." That is the first expression of our new found freedom. Not only that but we add כל דכפין ייתי ויפסח - anyone who is needy should come and have the Pesach. Meaning we don't just want to give food, we want to give SPIRITUAL food - the holy korban pesach.


I must say - מי כעמך ישראל. There is no nation that is as deeply imbued with the ethic of tzedaka and chesed as the Jewish People. I was thinking about that once when I was in Manhattan. I was watching people rummage through garbage cans looking for some "shirayim" [and it didn't matter to them which "Rebbe" left it. All that mattered was that it was edible]. If a Jew is hungry he can go to any Jewish community and be swamped with invitations to eat. We don't just do chesed - we love doing chesed.

[עפ"י הרב קוק]




I was definitely helped towards reaching one of the primary purposes of my visit [
https://www.gofundme.com/36mnut2k] and for that I am eternally grateful and Hashem will help everybody who helped me in a myriad of ways.


It goes without saying that everybody is invited to the wedding on June 22nd [invitation forthcoming].


It looks like I will be back in the summer and hope for the opportunity to spread more Torah and to do chesed.


I wish EVERYBODY a sweet, happy and healthy Pesach wherever you may be [there is actually a 15 percent chance that you are not in Florida] and hope to spend next Pesach with you in Yerushalyim Habnuyah!!


Bi-ahava rabba vi-ahavas olam,


Me