Friday, August 18, 2017

Re'eh - Vanquish Your Yetzer

HIIIIIII SWWWEEETEST FRIENDS!!!!



It haasss beeeeeen tooo looooonggg!!! I have been so busy with my investment banker, my stock analyst, the various start ups I am running etc. that the weekly dvar Torah just got lost in the shuffle. I HAVE TO DO TESHUVAAAA!!! Elul is around the corner [where I live so are lots of A-rabs!!] As Shaquille O'Neil put it so well "Money, money, money. money! I am sick of all this talk 'bout money. All I want is to play bo', drink pepsi and wear Reebok!!" ME TOO!! Less about my stock portfolio and more about being a Jew [the Shaq isn't zoche to be a Jew so he is left with his cowhide, Pepsi and Reebok. But I am SOOOOO lucky that I have a Jewish mother and thus am a CHOSEN PERSON!!:-)]. Anyway I don't drink soda. 


In this weeks parsha we learn about the מסית, that evil fellow who subverts another Jew to serve idols. The Torah tells us [as goes the famous line from The Karate Kid lihavdil] NO MERCY. לא תחמול. He must be executed. 


The Sfas Emes says that this teaches us a lesson about the מסית we have within us. We have the power to execute our yezer hara instantaneously if we so desire. NO MERCY!!!


The pasuk also says that first the subverted person kills him and [if he doesn't do the job] then everybody else. ידך תהיה בו בראשונה להמיתו ויד כל העם באחרונה - Literally, first your hand will kill him and then the rest of the nation. 


This teaches us that if YOU overcome your yetzer hara then you give all of the other Jews the power. We are all one unit and have the capacity to impact others!!


In the words of the Master:


בפרשה של המסית צריך כל אדם להכין עצמו למצוה זו כי הוא ענין נכבד להיות מתפעל האדם להתהפך כרגע לשונא ממש ע"י ההסתה לקיים לא תחמול ולא תכסה. ומכ"ש שזה קאי על היצה"ר וסט"א שהוא המסית ומדיח. ואם נעשה האדם שונא ממש ע"י הסתה. יוכל להרוג אותו. כמ"ש אח"כ כי הרוג תהרגנו ע"י השנאה כנ"ל. הרוג הוא בפרטות מה שמסית לו. ותהרגנו הוא לגמרי שע"י נסיון אחד זוכה להתקדש בכל. ועוד ידך תהי' כו' ויד כל העם באחרונה. פי' כמ"ש כל ישראל ערבים זה בזה. א"כ מכ"ש שמה שגובר א' והורג היצה"ר שבו מזכה לכל ישראל שלא יהי' עוד כח להיצה"ר באותו דבר כמו מקודם. וזה עצמו צריך להוסיף כח לכל עובד ה' במה שיודע שע"י תגבורת שלו יחליש כח היצה"ר נגד כל ישראל כפי הכח של הנסיון:


We should be zoche to a sweet Shabbos and an Elul FILLED with simcha and teshuva from LOVE!!!


Love,
Me