Saturday, September 24, 2011

Openness

I often read marriage books. Some time back I read what I considered to be the best one I had ever encountered. I wrote the author a letter [remember what that is?] expressing my appreciation. I especially enjoyed his frankness, openness and honesty. He really seemed ready to reveal some of his issues in order to help others. Knowing other people have certain feelings [such as insecurities, fears etc.] make it easier to deal with the fact that we have them too.

Then somebody told me - this author has been divorced at least 2 or 3 times. THAT fact he didn't mention. Of course he didn't have too, it wasn't a tell-all biography but by sharing his own failures, I think he could have helped others.

So sweetest friends, don't be embarrassment to share. Openness towards others breeds openness in return, which enables deeper relationships, closeness and understanding. Of course this doesn't mean that you should tell everybody everything but don't feel that if you tell a close friend something personal, he will stop respecting you. You are special and good despite your shortcomings. We all have shortcomings.

Maybe we can sharpen the idea. You are special and good DUE to your shortcomings and the way you deal with them.