Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happiness Under All Circumstances - The Sequel

The great gaon, HaRav Shimon Moshe Diskin was lying in Hadassa Ein Kerem hospital. Two weeks before he died I went to visit him and invite him to my wedding. HaGaon Rav Shimon Moshe, a person for whom the Yeshiva world rejoiced at every "vort" of his. He lay in bed and his eyes were shining. He didn't stop for a second speaking deep divrei torah. For hours he "spoke in learning", from Rambam to Rambam, chiddush after chiddush. We spoke about the Rebbe Akiva Eiger on עדים זוממים. When there was a momentary break I asked him how he was feeling, even though looking at his tortured and pained body was a clear answer to my question.


But no. Rebbe was radiating with light and said that he is happy, mamesh happy.


"Happy?" I asked with tears in my eyes.    


"Happy with yisurim! How wonderful it is that Hashem gave me this recent period, so that I can become more elevated and get closer to Him!"

זכות הצדיקים יעזור ויגן ויושיע

[Related by Rabbi Shmuel Ginott]